Note: I may earn money or products from the companies, products, or links mentioned in this post.
The fact is everyone wants to make money online and they think it’s easy. I’m here to tell you it most definitely is not easy! There is a lot of work that goes into running a blog and social media channels. It doesn’t sound like it, but it is a full-time job for me.
There are so many “experts” out there on the web and it’s hard to know who is right and who is not. I will always be honest and detailed about how I make money and that is why I like posting my income report several times a year. Since I get so many requests for help in this area, here is how to start making money blogging from my perspective.
Make Money Blogging in 3 Steps!
1. Get a Professional Blog
Many people don’t realize that if you really want to make money blogging you need to put money into buying a nice, professional blog. WordPress.com is nice, but wordpress.org is where you can make the money. You are not allowed to make money on wordpress.com, and it does not have the plugins that you will need to make your blog go further.
Once you decide to go all-in here are some things you need to do:
- Choose a Host. This can be one of the hardest parts. There are many hosts out there and it’s hard to know which is the best for you and your blog. Bluehost is one of the top blog and website hosts and it’s the host I have been using since 2011. I have loved working with them and I love their customer service. I recommend them to every blogger I help, and I know many others love Bluehost too.
- Choose a Designer. This is a very important part of making your blog professional. You want a blog designer that knows what she’s doing. This is your baby and you want it done right! I refer all my clients to Laura at pixelmedesigns.com. Her prices are amazing and her work is incredible, you will not regret using her if you choose to. If you decide to go a different direction, check out these other designers I recommend: Blog Designers & Design Tips.
2. Grow Your Traffic.
Once you have a professional blog and website, it’s time to grow your traffic. It’s hard to make money if you don’t have enough traffic on you blog.
I have been asked by many people about the amount of traffic a blogger needs before they can make money. I don’t have a direct answer, but I would say to maybe start at 10,000 monthly pageviews. You can start sooner, but remember that you won’t make as much money. I personally recommend waiting and focusing on growing your blog
In order to grow your blog and your traffic, there are several things you are going to want to do:
- Blog Often. Blogging often is usually the number one step to growing your blog. You want quality content that keeps people subscribing and coming back for more. When asked how many times per week someone should blog, I say five times per week to start off and then later, once you have a foundation, you can go down to three times per week if that works better for you.
- Comment Often. So often people skip this step. Find other blogs in your niche, ask friends and others for their blog links, and subscribe! Then comment when they publish new content. Make it a priority to find at least one new blog a week to check out and leave a comment.
- Promote Often. This can be the hardest part of it all. A lot of bloggers don’t want to promote and aren’t sure how much they should be promoting their blog and their posts. Social media promotion is going to be your number one source of traffic and email promotion can be too. When asked what the most important social media channels are to focus on, I usually say these three: Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter. I do Instagram and have a Google+ account, but when you are wanting to grow your blog and learn how to promote, you don’t want to worry about too much at once. Focus on a little at a time.
- Take Advantage of Link-ups and Blogger Groups. Link-ups are a great way to grow your traffic! You link up a blog post and then follow the rules as to what you can do for others. Usually you need to go take a look at several other blog posts to make it fair. Facebook groups for bloggers are also very helpful. You can exchange ideas and most will have weekly threads where you can share your blog posts.
- Research. A lot of bloggers like to ask for help, this is not a problem, but the fact is there are MANY resources already out there on the web. You just need to research! I started my blog from scratch and taught myself everything I know. I haven’t ever taken a course, I have mostly used Pinterest to find the best blogging resources and help. Plus it’s free!
- Get help! Sometimes it is easier to ask the experts or get some help learning and growing your blog. I offer many services including personalized blog coaching. I would love to help!
3. Get Your Blog Ready to Make Money!
Once you have grown your traffic to where you want it to be, it’s time to get ready to make money!
- Set up an Advertising Page. The first step is setting up an advertising/PR page on your blog. You want this to be a place where people can find out your stats, prices, and a little bit more about you and your blog. This is also a great spot to place your media kit for download. Check out this example: My Media Kit.
- Set up Affiliates. Affiliates are a great way to start making money because you can easily insert links or write posts about these companies or products. Be careful how many you promote because it can get hard to make money if you have too many. Focus on just 2-3 that you really like and support. My favorite affiliate programs are Amazon Affiliates and Apple/iTunes. Both are companies I love, with lots of products I can easily talk about on my site.
- Contact Companies you Love. Now that you are ready, it’s time to start contacting companies you love to ask about doing reviews, giveaways, and sponsored posts. Make sure you include your media kit!
- Sign up With Influencer Companies. Influencer companies are the ones that help businesses and brands find YOU! It’s basically like contract work. You make an account with a company like IZEA, and then you can apply for work (sponsored content) through them. Find more companies to work and make money with here: How I Made Almost $30,000 on my Blog in 2015.
- Place Ads. Once you have the traffic, it’s time to place some ads! You can sell ad space directly from your blog and you can use sites like Google Adsense to put targeted ads in for you. Just remember that in order to make good money from ads, you need to have the pageviews to do it!
Want to know more? Check out this podcast I did with Trista from A Purpose driven Wife. Click on image below to view!
- How to Grow Your Blog Without Spending Money
- How to Track Your Blog Growth
- Best Link Parties to Help Grow Your Blog
- Why Scheduling Your Social Media is the Most Important Thing you will Ever do
- How to Write a Perfect Pinterest Pin Description
- My Twitter Strategy: 10 Tips for Gaining Followers
- How to Invite Non-Friends to Like Your Facebook Page
- 8 Steps to Advertising on Your Blog
What about YOU? Do you make money with your blog? What do you think is the best way to start?