Note: I may earn money or products from the companies, products, or links mentioned in this post.
For the past two years I have picked a word that I wanted to describe my life in the new year -something for me to focus on and to work on throughout the year. In 2011, my word was “growth” and last year my word was “trust.” A few weeks ago I prayed and asked God to show me what word He would have me pick for my theme this year. I simply had no idea what I wanted to work on this year, but after what seemed like only a few moments later, it came to me: Prayer.
Last year, my word was “trust” and I listed three ways that I wanted to learn to trust in 2012. I wanted to learn to trust God more and with everything I have, I wanted to learn to trust my husband more with being the leader of our home, and I wanted to learn to trust others and to take them at their word.
If you read our Christmas Family Newsletter or have been following along this blog for the past year, you know that 2012 was a very hard year for us. My husband was deployed, his grandfather died, my son ended up in the hospital, my son had to have a lot of tests and procedures done because of his health problems, and finally he was diagnosed with SPD and Autism. Most recently, we found out that my husband has some kind of heart problem that may prevent him from deploying in several months and may even get him medically discharged from the military.
Yes, when you ask God to help you to learn to trust He certainly will bring things your way to help you learn it well! I feel that 2012 was definitely a test of how well I was going to learn to trust and I think I am finally getting the hint and learning that it’s the only way to go. That is why I think prayer is going to be just the right key to this new year.
Now that I have been through all these trials that have taught me how to trust, I feel I am ready for the next step: to pray to Him with everything I have and in prayer trust Him with all that I have. I am giving over everything that is in my life and saying, “Here it is Lord, use me,” or “Here it is Lord, help me.”
How I Want Prayer to Describe my Life in 2013:
1. I want to learn to pray better and more often.
I know there is no right or wrong way to pray, but what I mean by better is to be more focused and more intentional in how I pray. I talk a lot about helping others and how I want to be an encouragement, but in order to do that, my life and especially my prayer life needs to be in order and focused on the Lord.
2. I want to have a set prayer time every day or even once a week.
Being a mom to a toddler is hard enough, but being a mom to a special needs toddler who has therapy 9-10 times a week is even harder. Finding time in my crazy and busy schedule to pray is no joke! I want to be intentional in how I make time to pray. Sure I can pray as I am going, but I really want to find time at the very least once a week to sit down and have an actual prayer time.
3. I want to pray with my husband and as a family.
We already do this a little bit as we pray over meals and pray with my son before bedtime, but I want my son to learn from our example. I would love to teach him more about prayer and I would love to find time to pray every day or even once a week. To be able to come together and pray for our needs together as husband and wife or even as a family would be a huge blessing.
4. I want to learn to rely on prayer, not on myself or my abilities.
So many times in my busy I day I forget to rely on God to help me through the little or even the big things I go through on a daily basis. I think that I can get through it on my own, that I just need to keep pushing through. But I don’t need to “just push through.” God is there waiting for me to call on Him and He is willing to help me.
5. I want prayer to define my life.
I would really love for prayer to be more than just a thing I do at meal times or at bedtime. I want it to be a real part of my life. As a friend of mine said “I have a constant dialogue going on with God every day.” I want it to be like that.
My Plan of Action:
1. You might have remembered a book I told you about in another post called: He’s Real. I typed up a very powerful excerpt from the book to share with you and promised that when I finished it I would give you the review. Well I am still only about half way through, but I promise this book is a life-changer! And I think this is one of the main things that started me on this journey to prayer. The book is called: Confessions of a Prayer Slacker by Diane Moody and I am going to be working on incorporating some of her ideas and tips into my prayer life.
2. My husband bought me this beautiful hand-made journal from Kuwait when he was deployed. The paper is just beautiful and the outside of it is leather. It’s special so I wanted to save it for something special and so I started using it as a prayer journal from time-to-time. Yes, I blog here, but this journal is for my utmost and private thoughts to God. I hope to use this journal more and fill it with more prayers to Him.
3. Recently, a friend told me about an app called Pocket Prayer Pro. You can use it to keep track of your prayer requests, prayers, and it even comes with beautiful prayers listed by category to help you know what to pray. I just downloaded it the other day and I love it already. I think this is going to be a huge help in my prayer life and in getting me started.
What are your goals for this year? What is one word that you want to describe 2013?