Note: I may earn money or products from the companies, products, or links mentioned in this post.
Summer is almost here and families everywhere have already started barbecuing. There will be tons of summer fun, lots of good friends, and plenty of grilled food! While I do love that tasty grilled chicken or steak, I also love all the sides that come with a good barbecue. Summer foods like, salads, fruit, deviled eggs, and especially macaroni salad are some of my favorites.
Growing up, my mom made the best macaroni salad. We would occasionally have friends over to grill out and my mom would always make her homemade macaroni salad. One of my favorite summer memories is sitting there with good friends, eating a grilled hamburger or hotdog with a side of macaroni salad on my plate.
Now that I’m married with my own family, I call my mom every year to ask for that same macaroni salad recipe that she made growing up. While I’ve tried many other pasta salads, nothing compares to my mom’s recipe. It’s so simple and delicious and my kids even like helping me make it.
This summer, I’m sharing this recipe with you so that you can grill out with friends and wow them with this amazing homemade dish. Enjoy!
Homemade Macaroni Salad
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (about 1-3/4 cups)
- 1 cup Hellmann’s or Best Foods Real Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Hellmann’s or Best Foods Dijonnaise Creamy Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water until completely cool.
- Combine Hellmann’s or Mayonnaise, vinegar, Creamy Dijon Mustard, sugar, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stir in the macaroni, celery, green pepper and onion. Put in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours and serve chilled. Stir before serving.
What I love about this recipe is that you can add any of your favorite items to it and it still tastes amazing! Here’s a few things you can add:
- Black Olives
- Hard Boiled Eggs
It wouldn’t be a real summer barbecue without some fun backyard games! Here are a few of my favorites:
- 25 Ridiculously Fun DIY Backyard Games
- Jumbo Jenga
- Backyard Ker-Plunk
- 27 Insanely Fun Outdoor Games for Summer
- Stars and Stripes Bean Bag Toss Boards
- 65 Outdoor Party Games for the Family
- Summer Squirt Gun Station
- 19 Backyard Water Games for Summer
- DIY Yard Yahtzee
- 32 of the Best DIY Backyard Games
Once everyone is tired out, offer your friends and family a delicious and cold treat! Many summer favorites include Good Humor Dessert Bars, Klondike Bars, and for the kids a fun, popsicle treat! You can also make your own homemade treats likes these Red, White, and Blue Iced Tea Pops. Whatever you decide to serve, it’s sure to be a big hit!
“Because you wouldn’t ask your friends over to microwave.”
What about YOU?
- What’s your favorite summer memory?
- What’s your favorite grilled meat?
- What’s your favorite summer side dish or pasta salad?
- What are some of your favorite backyard barbecue games?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of MSB New Media & Unilever. The opinions and text are all mine.