Note: I may earn money or products from the companies, products, or links mentioned in this post.
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE tacos. and here at my house, we have them for dinner at least once per week. They are very easy to make, and not to mention delicious too! While there are many different ways to eat a taco, there are no wrong ways to eat a taco. Some like a soft shell, some like a hard shell. Some like tons of toppings, others like to keep it simple and easy. No matter how you like your taco, this taco casserole is sure to be a hit!
I happened to come across the recipe for a taco casserole, and it sounded perfect! This recipe originally from Food.com has just about everything you would put in a taco, but heated together in a beautiful casserole dish. I have to say it almost tasted better than a regular taco too!
Taco Casserole: All the Fun Without the Shell!
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 oz) package of taco seasoning
- 1 (15 oz) can of refried beans
- 2 cups of Monterey Jack cheese, divided (or you can use cheddar)
- 1 cup of salsa
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 (2 1/3 oz) can of sliced black olives
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 cups ( I used about 3 cups depending on the size of your dish) of corn chips (I used Frito's corn chips) coarsely crushed or chopped.
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Add taco seasoning and cook according to package directions, adding the proper amount of water.
- Put crushed corn chips on bottom of an 8x8 dish ( I used 9x13).
- Cook refried beans on the stove until hot.
- Add 1 cup of cheese and 1 cup of salsa. Stir until combined.
- Pour bean mixture over the corn chips in the dish.
- Add beef to the top of beans.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over top ( I used a little bit more to taste).
- Sprinkle green onions and black olives over the cheese.
- Bake in a 375-degree oven until cheese is sufficiently melted.
- Take out of the oven and sprinkle chopped tomatoes on top. Wait 1-2 minutes and then serve.
This casserole is seriously SO good. I love that the corn chips made for small, crunchy, taste and personally, I’m obsessed with the black olives sprinkled on top.
Serve it with a little sour cream and some guacamole and you have a great dish to serve family and friends!
Taco Casserole: Tweaks and Variations
- Use wheat tortillas or tortilla chips for the bottom instead of corn chips
- Instead of refried beans use black beans mixed with salsa.
- Use Rotel instead of salsa to keep the chips from getting too soggy.
- Layer Spanish rice over the corn chips or instead of corn chips.
- Use mild green chilis instead of onions.
- Add frozen vegetables for a healthier dish!
- Use ground turkey instead of beef.
- Use taco sauce instead of salsa.
- Use cooked chicken instead of ground beef.
- Sprinkle top of casserole with fresh, chopped cilantro.
- Add jalapenos.
- Add chopped lettuce on top.
- Use diced fire-roasted canned tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes.
What about YOU? Do you like tacos? Would you try this casserole? Click here to see more recipes like this!