My Husband’s Famous: “Chilli with a Twist”
Note: I may earn money or products from the companies, products, or links mentioned in this post.
I don’t know how it got started that I was going to share this, I remember asking my husband if he wanted me to buy his chilli ingredients this week for when I went grocery shopping, and on the way home from the store I remember we were joking about sharing the recipe on my blog. When I really started to think about it, I decided it was a great idea! My husband’s chilli really is incredible. He knows his way around a few recipes and this is one of them.
My husband’s love of chilli came from his grandfather. Whenever Jon visited his grandparents, his grandfather would always make HIS famous chilli. Jon always talked about how his grandfather’s chilli was the very best and tried to make his recipe similar to his. His grandfather passed away earlier this year while Jon was deployed, but the tradition of his grandfather’s chilli has been passed on. I hope you enjoy it as much as we and our friends do!
- 1 box of Carroll Shelby’s Chili Kit
- 2 cans Bush’s Best Chili Magic Texas Beans (medium)
- 1 lb of ground hamburger or 2 chicken breasts (depends on which meat you want)
- 1 can (46 fl oz) of Del Monte Tomato Juice
- 6 cans (14.5 oz each) of Del Monte diced tomatoes zesty chili style
- 1 onion chopped (set aside half)
- 3 Serrano peppers chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp of crushed red peppers
- Seasoning salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
Now, some of these ingredients are really brand specific, but I am sure if you can only find something similar it will still taste great, so just do the best you can!
How to Make:
1. Chop up the onion and pepper. Set aside half the onion and one pepper for later.
2. If making with ground hamburger, brown the meat with half of the onion and 1 Serrano pepper. Add the crushed red pepper, and the seasonings to taste. Drain and set aside. If making with chicken, the night before marinate the chicken with McCormick Grill Mates Zesty Herb seasoning packet (directions on the packet) or some other marinade of your choice. In the morning put the chicken in the crock pot along with a half of the onion and a little bit of water and cook on low 4-5 hours. Shred the chicken and set side.
3. Put all the rest of the ingredients into an 8 qrt. pot and bring to a boil. Add the hamburger or chicken (whatever you decided to use) and turn on low to simmer 1 hour before eating or simmer several hours more for a better flavor. Don’t forget to stir occasionally!
Serve with crackers and sprinkled cheddar cheese! Not sure how many servings it makes, but it fills up an 8 qrt pot! To see more of my recipes, click HERE.
Found you through the Newlyweds linky – it’s so funny, my husband has his own “chili recipe” too! It’s really spicy though so he doesn’t get to make it often. New follower! I host a Wednesday link party if you’d like to share:
Thanks so much! That’s funny that your husband has a special chilli recipe too. My husband is very particular about his recipe, it cracks me up! Thanks for sharing and commenting! 🙂