Note: I may earn money or products from the companies, products, or links mentioned in this post.
Today, I want to share with you one of my absolute favorite recipes, one that is a huge stable in my house and also a comfort food – loaded baked sotato Soup! I originally found the recipe for this loaded baked potato soup, from another blogger – Reflections From a Christian Mommy Writer. She shared how good it was on her blog, and I just had to try it! Since then I have probably made it about three dozen times, and both me, my husband, and any guests we have shared it with absolutely love it!
“This flavorful loaded baked potato soup is loaded with cheese and baked potatoes. Top this thick soup with the cooked bacon and green onions just before serving.” – Southernfood.about.com
- 8 to 10 slices bacon, diced, about 8 oz.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 bunch green onions, about 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled, diced, and boiled
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garlic powder to taste
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 8 oz. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Sliced green onion for garnish, optional
- Start the potatoes, by peeling and cutting and boiling them for no longer than five minutes. You want the potatoes to only be half cooked because they will cook more in the soup later. Drain the water and set potatoes aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain and pour the bacon drippings into a cup. When cool, crumbles the bacon, and set aside.
- Put 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings back into the pot along with the butter, chopped onion, and celery.
- Cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the sliced green onion and flour until blended.
- Stir in chicken broth; cover and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the mixture is thickened and vegetables are very tender.
- Stir in half-and-half, diced potatoes, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cheese. Continue cooking until cheese is melted.
- Add sour cream. Cook, stirring constantly, until soup is hot. Serve the soup garnished with bacon and extra sliced green onion, if desired.
To view more recipes on Singing Through the Rain, see my recipe list!