Note: I may earn money or products from the companies, products, or links mentioned in this post.
I love the weekend! So much time to spend with family and friends and to just rest. I am always looking for fun things we can do as a family so I decided to compile a list of ideas of fun family activities. I hope you find something here that is a great idea for YOUR family too!
Try One of These Family Activities This Weekend!
1. Take a walk. One of our favorite family activities is going on walks. It’s beautiful where we live and it’s fun to walk around and see the scenery. Another fun activity to do while on a walk is a nature check list. It gives the kids and the adults something to do while walking!
2. Go to the park. My kids love going to the park. We have one right across the street from us and the kids always have a blast there and meet new friends. We also like to look for new parks. Different parks have different activities and toys available and it’s always fun to find a new one that we all love. Here are 6 activities you can do at the park.
3. Go play at Chick-Fil-A. My son’s favorite place is Chick-Fil-A or “chick-play” as he likes to call it. We have spent a lot of weekends taking my kids there to have fun and playing in there with them too!
4. Go apple picking or fruit picking. Depending on the season this is a great family activity and fun too! We’ve done apple picking and also strawberry picking. The kids got their own small basket and got to pick their own. They had a lot of fun! Here are some tips for going apple picking.
5. Invite a new family over for dinner. I love making new friends and one of our favorite things to do is occasionally have a new family or friends over for dinner. It’s especially nice having a new family over because there’s so many times we realize how much we have in common and end up being great friends. Here’s a few ways you can start: Invite a Family Over for Dinner Challenge!
6. Get family photos done. I just love getting family photos done. I love dressing up and finding new ways to get great shots of my family. I just love the whole process and it can be really fun! Here are 16 Fun Family Photo Ideas.
7. Take naps. I know this sounds like a funny one, but I’m serious! One of our favorite things to do on the weekend is to all take a nap. We wait until it’s my daughter’s nap time and then I put my son in quiet time (he doesn’t take naps) and then me and my husband go sleep too. It’s the nicest thing!
8. Find great deals on Groupon. Groupon has so many great finds for getaways and things to do locally. We’ve found some great deals in our area of things to do for cheap on the weekend and I love checking to see what’s new on there.
9. Have a yard sale. Nothing brings a family closer together than getting rid of junk! Host a yard sale on the weekend and get the whole family involved. Have the kids run a little booth or let them have their own table of things they want to sell and make money from. Here’s how to have the best yard sale ever!
10. Go geocaching. My family has never done this, but I have heard from many that is a great family activity. Want to learn more? Check out: Geocaching: What it is and Why We’re Hooked.
11. Go out for brunch. Who doesn’t love brunch? Make it a weekly activity that the whole family goes out to brunch. And have fun!
12. Cook, bake, or prepare a meal together. Get the whole family involved with cooking and baking! Have a contest to see who can make the best dessert or have a create your own slice family pizza night!
13. Go on a Bike Ride. I used to ride my bike all the time, I loved riding everywhere when I was in high school. I haven’t ridden recently, but I would love to get my whole family out and riding together. I think it would be such a blast! Here are 6 road rules for family fun biking.
14. Go on a hike. Day hikes can be a lot of fun. Find a pretty place that has trails or hike up to see a waterfall. Have a picnic when you get there and make it fun! Here are some tips on what to take on a day hike.
15. Do a craft. Get the whole family involved in a fun craft or project. It could be something for inside or outside, but make sure that each family member has a part!
16. Go to the beach. Family beach days are the best! Enjoy a fun-filled family day with these tips for a great family beach day.
17. Go Sledding. Some of my favorite memories growing up were when we went sledding as a family. It was one of our favorite things to do in the winter time and always a blast! Here are a few other classic winter activities you can try too!
18. Go ice skating. The cool thing about ice skating is that you don’t have to have cold, winter weather to do it. Most towns will have places with indoor rinks with family skate times. You could also consider building your own backyard rink.
19. Have a board game night. Board games are fun and can make time fly past quickly. Make tons of fun memories this weekend with these 20 best family board games.
20. Go on a scavenger hunt. Scavenger hunts are a great way to get the family moving and having fun. The best part about it that they can be done almost anywhere. Do one in your neighborhood or even at the mall! Here are a few tips for a family scavenge hunt.
21. Go camping indoors. My family has never done this, but I have always wanted to. I think it would be SO fun and a great memory for the kids. Here are 5 tips for indoor camping.
22. Go shopping. Just because you’re out shopping doesn’t mean you have buy something. Walk around, look for Christmas gift ideas, share an ice cream, or eat a pretzel. The mall and even the grocery store can be lots of fun! Here are a few learning activities that kids can do at the grocery store.
23. Have an home movie theater night. Find a fun family movie that no one has seen, buy cheap boxed movie candy at the store, grab some popcorn and blankets, and settle in for a fun night! Try out this fun DIY movie night popcorn bar.
24. Go to a farmer’s market, craft fair, or flea market. I used to do this with my mom and it was a lot fun. There is so much you can learn from these places and so many great finds too! Here are some tips on how to master your local farmer’s market and how to shop at a flea market.
25. Do an outdoor project. Re-do a flower bed around the mailbox, buy and hang an american flag, put up new modern house numbers, make DIY flower window boxes, plant flowers, or update the backyard with white lights. Check out some of these best DIY outdoor family projects.
What is YOUR favorite family weekend activity? Did I miss any?