Note: I may earn money or products from the companies, products, or links mentioned in this post.
He got an EKG and an x-ray done and they told him that the EKG came back abnormal and that one side of his heart was enlarged. He was sent to a cardiologist and a pulmonary specialist and they ran all kinds of tests. The heart tests all came back fine so he was sent back to the pulmonary specialist who told him it was probably asthma (possibly allergy-induced) and if not that then it was probably due to stress.
My husband gets a test to find out for sure if it is asthma or not at the end of the month and then we will know more, but until then our life has felt like it is on hold. We do not know if he will get medically discharged, or be able to deploy this summer like he was supposed to be. We have heard there are ways around it, but it all depends on what is causing the asthma. He will still have to go before a medical board to get a waiver if they allow him to stay in and if that is not finished in time then he will not deploy.
It’s hard waiting. It’s hard not knowing. It’s hard when God is trying to teach me patience in His sovereign will.
Meanwhile our plans that not many people know about have been put on hold. We have been trying to start the process of requesting a medical move with the military for my son to get better care. All of that has been put on hold until we know what is going on with my husband’s health and his deployment.
We also have started the process of finding out what school my son will go to. Because he is Autistic and has other special needs he will go to school to a special needs program at the age of 3. Because he turns 3 in June and school will be out for the summer; all of the decisions, meetings, and paperwork need to be done way before that.
We also found that because we live on a military base that we have to go to the school zoned for that base. The school we are zoned for is known for being a horrible school and I have had friends move off the base just to avoid having their kids go to that school. We are looking into it more before we make any rash decisions, but if we can’t request a change or a different school we will be moving off the base to another area before August.
With this school thing I have been introduced to whole new world. A world of school zones, IEP’s (Individualized Education Plan) for special needs children, and more. I am lost as I did not go to public school and do not know anything about it, not to mention the fact that it is totally different for a special needs child.
People ask why don’t we just homeschool, but they don’t understand. Once his turns three a lot of his therapy is going to go through the school system. Tricare will not pay for it if the school covers it for free. We have already considered all our options and we feel homeschooling is not for us at this time and that Adam would do best in a special needs environment around other kids and around teachers and therapists who know how to help him much better than I could.
We also just found out yesterday that my husband’s car is overheating and with tax it’s going to cost about $1,300. I feel like it never ends. On a better note Adam is doing well in many areas and improving greatly. He is trying to sound out more words best he can, he is doing well trying new foods in therapy, but right now our huge struggle is getting him to eat them at home too. He will only do it for the feeding therapist and reverts back to eating only two foods when he is at home.
He has been sick a lot and has had a lot of ear infections so we are going to be meeting with the ENT again to talk about getting tubes in his ears for the second time. We have also started working on some potty training with him. He has learned to sign to us to tell us when he has a dirty diaper and we have sat him on the potty a few times to get used to it.
Life is busy as usual, but trying to hard to remain thankful for my many blessings. We covet your prayers during this time!