Note: I may earn money or products from the companies, products, or links mentioned in this post.
Because time is short before my husband deploys I will be having a few people guest post for me so that I can spend more time with my husband before he leaves. Today, I would like you to welcome Miranda from His Path My Steps. She has prepared a beautiful post about what to do when you are criticized when trying to witness.
It’s called the Great Commission. One verse, one command… “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations.” Matthew 28:19
For believers, sharing our faith often starts with those closest to us. Our family, friends, neighbors. Speaking on the love and mercy of our Savior is just like saying the sky is blue. But what do we do when those closest to us walk away or turn a blind eye to the truth?
I’ve had this happen to me more than once. In trying to share Christ with others, I have lost several friends and became the black sheep of my family. Labeled as the “religious” one, people often think the worst of me, or that I think the worst of them.
What should we as daughters of the King do when we’re met with hard criticisms?
1. PRAY PRAY PRAY- In prayer we can redirect our focus on the Kingdom rather than what others think of us. We will also find great comfort in the arms of Jesus.
2. Be truthful. Don’t tippy-toe around the subject because it could hurt. There’s a gentle way to address anything.
3. Answer and Ask questions- Be ready with an answer to whatever questions come up. If you don’t know the answer, find it. Don’t be afraid to ask questions back. Often times you’ll encounter those who never had someone challenge their thinking.
4. Be prepared for people to not be so nice. They will insult you and bad mouth you. There is always an upside…Scripture tells us “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.” Matthew 5:11-12
5. Know when to stop- Jesus said… “Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.” Matthew 7:6
When we spend so much time sharing the gospel with one person who only rejects it, we’re kept from sharing the gospel with others. Having the discernment to know when enough is enough is often the hardest part for most of us. The Lord might have used you to plant the seed of His grace, but he might send someone else to come and water it.
Miranda is a daughter to the King, wife to Chris and mommy to 4 kiddos under 7! She’s currently enjoying the adventures of an Air Force wife. She blogs over at His Path My Steps.